Joining a group doesn’t mean you automatically join anyone’s network and it doesn’t mean they join yours. Membership gives you a place to develop relationships with fellow APW members. Focus your energy on expanding the number of people who know YOU in the organization.
The keys to making any networking organization work for you:
1. After you join, go! Show up to regular luncheons, after hours events, etc.
2. When you go – interact. It’s tempting to come to a luncheon right on time, eat, and then leave.
3. Don’t skip the networking portion of any event.
4. Meet new people, don’t always sit with the people you know.
5. Don’t wait for others to approach you – make the first move.
6. Just handing out business cards is not networking.
7. Don’t give up, relationship based networking takes time.
8. Have meaningful conversations, come with an agenda. What do you want to get out of this event? What do you have to give?
9. The best way to show your character and competence is to contribute time and energy.
Also, consider a role within any organization you belong to. Write an article for the newsletter, volunteer for a committee, get elected to the Board of Directors; find a way to help. When people see you in action they make up their minds about your character and your overall skillset – even if they’ve never met you. Don’t just join – join in!
Melissa Richards of LIV Sotheyby’s International Realty is committed to building relationships throughout Denver one client at a time to always be their Realtor for life. She genuinely cares about each and every one of her clients and has their best financial, personal, and lifestyle interest at heart. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.